Electrical safety understanding tends to begin and end with electric shocks and electric fires. Although these are the most lethal results of poor electrical maintenance, understanding how these come about is also extremely important. Here at K and M Maintenance in Preston, we are electrical experts. As a result, we have produced this guide to electric shocks and fire risks in the home.

 electric shocks and fire risks in the home

Your Fuse-board or consumer unit

If you have an old or out of date fuse-board, an electrician might tell you that you are at risk of an electric shock. In fact, some cowboy traders are scaring homeowners and landlords into updating their equipment, without giving them the time and opportunity to shop around. This is bad practice, and may not necessarily be true.

An older consumer unit can be thoroughly electrically tested to see if it is in full working order. If so, an upgrade just isnt necessary. However, if the testing reveals a fault, you will need to explore the cause of the fault.

Although the fuse-box may be in full working order, it wont be fitted with up to date circuit breakers and technology which could mean it is less safe. However, there is no need for you to be pressured into making an investment into your electrics, if the fuse-board is not posing a risk.

Electrical Appliances

Another common belief about electric shocks and fires in the home is that it is down to faulty wiring or old and out of date circuits. This just is not the case. In fact, the source of many electric dangers is actually the electrical appliances.

Electrical appliances can easily be misused, such as an errant tea-towel being placed over the vent. This causes the appliance to overheat and catch fire. The same result can occur if an extension lead is overloaded.

Alternatively, poorly maintained electrical appliances can pose a safety threat resulting in electric shocks or fires. If the cable is showing signs of wear and tear, such as damage to the rubber, or the wiring is exposed, do not use this appliance until you have taken appropriate safety measures.

In summary

While older circuits and wiring can pose a risk, they are not the only source of electric shocks and fire risks in the home, and they dont always need replacing. This myth can lead people with modern circuits to be more lax about their electrical safety, and neglect to look after their appliances, resulting in potentially risky behaviour. If you need more advice or support, contact us at K and M Maintenance today.